Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I survived Valentines!






If love measured up to be the amount of time spent this year on preparing for Valentine's Day, then ours would have been the Empire State Building. Maddie and Sage each made homemade Valentine cards for their 30-student classes. They turned out beautifully. Sage had to write a personal note on each one (per the teacher's request and also no candy allowed) and I loved looking over her shoulder while she wrote these. "To Yaswinth, You are really, really smart. Heart Sage" or "You are kind to animals." or "I like your positive thoughts." I volunteered to make treats for Sage's class, cake balls. Sage applied the sprinkles and candy heart. Maddie gave victorian folded valentines with gum inside. I made a pasta dish for Maddie's school teachers that same day, as well as treats for Ike's preschool friends. I thought to forgo our Valentine fondue tradition since we were getting ready for a big vacation the next day, but the family wouldn't have it. So I also made cheese fondue and choc. dipped strawberries and pretzels. All of this Valentine prep, plus I had hardly any sleep the night before because Dallin came down with croup and I stayed up comforting him. Poor guy sounds like a dog or Isaac thinks a duck. I also had last minute errands to finish before vacation and we stopped by the pediatricians, all the while trying to pack the family... but I survived "one of those days." Marvin surprised me with flowers. The most important part is that the kids enjoyed the day and felt loved, which they did. I felt loved too. Sage posted "mailboxes" on our doors and the kids all dropped notes to each other and us. They let us know when the mailman comes so we could check. I'm so glad they help me stop and drink in the moment.

3 comments:

Melanie and Jake said...

You are such a great mom!
Those cake balls look good!

Julia said...

Wow! What a day! You should post the recipe to those cake balls and the pasta you made for the teachers!

April said...

Hey there! I don't know if you can read the updated comments, but I'll definitely share the recipes. The cake balls are from bakerella.com
... Wouldn't it be fun to have a site where we can share recipes. I'm always on the lookout for new ones. Thanks for always posting!!