Sunday, September 19, 2010

Isaac is FIVE!!

Ike's first day of school! He met Mrs. Hauter the week before school started and had to wait a whole week after the girls went back, so he was ready to go and went right in. He did give me a kissing hand, though, so I know he isn't ready to dump me totally. haha! Ike even dictated the picture-taking spot - by these cute sunflowers:




Happy birthday! Ike's birthday fell on Thursday which is busy for Marvin & Maddie with gymnastics and late work, so we mostly celebrated Friday night. Thursday Ike wanted a playdate with his good friend, Peanut (Peyton):



So we celebrated and opened presents the next night. I think because we have a new backyard pet - a large garden spider nestled in our apple tree, that we feed unsuspecting bees and grasshoppers to and watch the spider roll 'em up and paralyze the 'em - he wanted a spider web cake. Don't look too closely at the cake because it's thrown together. Tasted delicious, though!










New birthday tradition started 2010: RAMONE!!

We found this yummy Japanese soda - Ramone - finally in the States; Marvin's birthday initiated the new tradition. The soda is really cool because there's a marble on top that you push down to fizz it up. We've tried several flavors, but we think the original flavor is the best and there's not a taste like it here. The kids LOVE it!



Isaac continues to be the sweetest, kindest, and most thoughtful child. He endures a beating from the demanding younger brother, but he never retaliates. When I offer Ike food (such as the last of the fruit bowl today, for instance) when hungry, Ike ate some, then said, "I'll save the rest for Dad, he hasn't eaten any yet." He does thoughtful things like this all the time, for each of us. Ike has already given away most of his silly bands birthday gift... I watch him when a friend or sister says they like one, he gives it to them! When going to school, he makes sure to give me a "kiss hand" - he kisses my hand so I won't miss him while he's away. He builds the most intricate train tracks, beats us at Memory, loves puzzles, and caught on really well to reading. He's got a sharp mind and keeps me on my toes because he can peck holes in hasty answers - I learned a year ago not to give him the short answer because that was never enough. As long as I don't interfere with HIS plans, he is happy!

2 comments:

Julia said...

what a cutie! April. That. cake. looks. DELICIOUS!

Melanie and Jake said...

That cake does look really good!! I'm glad he had a happy birthday!