Sunday, January 23, 2011

pardon our mess . . .



... while our boys play trains. The playroom no longer fits our boys' desire for intricate and spacious train track systems, so the rolling cart was moved to their bedroom, which is conveniently located by the front door. Ike is the master designer and is best left to create without interference from Dallin. Dallin is getting better at not wrecking the tracks so lately their train play runs much more smoothly, especially when the tracks are spread apart. They weave stories together about Thomas or Percy, inventing fun adventures for the trains.



My sweet boys are becoming quite good friends, largely due to the example and patience of older brother Isaac. The other day Ike zoomed loudly around the house with a toy airplane and it was not long after that Dallin joined in the fun, completely shadowing Ike in every move and sound. In the middle of cooking dinner, I did stop them from running around the kitchen, but didn't shush their craziness (sometimes I dream of peace and quiet). Ike doesn't seem to mind Dallin's inscessant imitating; he's quite accommodating and always makes room for two. If Ike's reading, Dallin squishes in there, too.

I love seeing their friendship unfold, seeing how Dallin is learning to reason with his brother (rather than take or yell), how Ike is learning to help Dallin contribute, and how they truly enjoy playing with each other. Boys are loud and phsycial... they wrestle and romp and make all sorts of strange noises for no reason. I'm glad they have each other.

1 comment:

Melanie and Jake said...

How fun! I love to see my girls play together too. We recently moved them into the same room and it is quite noisy when they are supposed to be sleeping.